The Allan and Norma Harris Memorial Lecture in Jewish Studies
The Allan and Norma Harris Memorial Lecture in Jewish Studies was inaugurated in 1997 as The Allan Harris Memorial Lecture in honor of the generous support provided to Jewish Studies at Northwestern by Allan and Norma Harris and their family.
Recent Harris lectures have included:
- The Allan and Norma Harris Day of Jewish Study, March 3, 2019: "What is Antisemitism: Historial, Political and Personal Perspectives", presented by David Shyovitz and Sarah Hirschhorn of Northwestern University, Kathleen Belew of University of Chicago, with comments from Northwestern students Jessica Schwalb, '19, Ariel Sheffey, '20 and Charlie Yelin, '19. Moderated by Claire Sufrin, Northwestern University.
- The Allan and Norma Harris Day of Jewish Study, March 18, 2018: Three Northwestern faculty members presented synopses of their recent research publications.
- The Allan and Norma Harris Day of Jewish Study, October 30, 2016: Six Northwestern faculty members offered the choice of two classes to the public. This event was co-sponsored and hosted by JCC Chicago.
- The Allan and Norma Harris Day of Jewish Study, February 14, 2016: Eight Northwestern faculty members shared their research and expertise with the public. This event was co-sponsored and hosted by JCC Chicago.
- Lawrence Baron, "Hollywood and the Holocaust: From Appeasement to Anti-Nazism, 1933-1945," November 3, 2014
- Benjamin Sommer, "Revelation, Authority and Ambiguity in Deuteronomy," December 5, 2013
- Michael Berkowitz, "A Requiem for Kodachrome: Jewish (film) History in 'Nice Bright Colors'," October 10, 2012
- Michael Brenner, "German-Jewish Responses to the Rise of Hitler," October 4, 2011
- Jonathan Sarna, "The Cult of Synthesis in American Jewish Culture," May 17, 2011
- Moshe Rosman, "How Jewish is Jewish History," March 1, 2010
- Judith Baskin, "Four Approaches to Studying Women in Jewish History," October 16, 2007
- Daniel Mendelsohn, "Lost Between Memory and History: Writing the Holocaust for the Next Generation," February 20, 2007
- Gary Anderson, "The Election of Israel: Reflections of a Catholic Old Testament Scholar," May 7, 2006